- Worldwide 748 million people live without clean water and 2.5 billion people live without toilets every day of their lives
- 1,400 Children die every day from diarrheal diseases linked to the lack of safe water and adequate sanitation and hygiene.
- Unsafe drinking water, inadequate availability of water for hygiene, and lack of access to sanitation together contribute to about 88% of deaths from diarrheal diseases.
- The single most effective intervention is hand washing with soap, which would cut diarrhoeal deaths nearly in half.
- Women and children spend more than 200 million hours each day collecting water from distant often polluted sources.
- Please use the links below for more information on the impact of safe water and sanitation: